Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Farm Fresh Lemon Curd




Oh Yum! Nothing beats fresh lemon curd spread on a light and fluffy biscuit! The secret to a good lemon curd is fresh eggs. I like to gather the eggs just before I make my curd so the eggs are still warm. I also use organic lemons, sweet butter and organic evaporated cane sugar.


Here is my recipe...
1 farm fresh egg yolk
2 separated egg whites
3/4 cup organic evaporated cane sugar (I prefer the Meijer Organics brand)
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice from organic lemons
1/2 TB lemon zest
Whisk this all together well in a sauce pan
1 TB butter

Add the butter and turn the stove top on low heat. Whisk ingredients constantly over low heat until mixture begins to thicken. This takes around 7 -10 minutes. Pour into a glass pint sized mason jar. Keep this refrigerated.

I like to serve my curd over biscuits but it is also delicious over ice cream, cake, or anything else you can think of. Curds are very simple to make and require very few ingredients. They are cheap and nutritious. That fits my description of a peasant food!






1 comment:

  1. I am looking forward to more recipes for peasant food. This one sounds yummy. I think your new blog will be a lovely place to visit.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete